Can dogs eat chocolate?
There can be no doubt in the fact that most dog loves to eat chocolates. Does that mean we should get into a great risk by feeding them a chocolates?
Just because we enjoy the every bite of our favorite Chocolate. doesn’t mean we should share the Same Joy to our dogs.
Why Chocolates are bad for dogs?
As Cocoa bean is the major ingredient in most of Chocolates, It can contain chemical substances such as Theobromine and Caffeine which can be extremely toxic to dogs depending on the level of ingestion.
- Various Researches have claimed that, Since Dog’s metabolism is slower when compared to humans; It takes more time for dogs to metabolize, certain chemicals which are present in the chocolate which can eventually increase theobromine and Caffeine level in dog’s blood which could result in chocolate poisoning.
- The level of chocolate poisoning directly depends on the level of concentration of those chemicals present in the chocolate.
- Dark chocolates have higher concentration of thebromine and caffine than white or milk based chocolate.
- Though Cocoa based dark chocolates are more toxic to dogs than milk chocolates, it would be better to not feed any kind of chocolates to dogs.
The severity of the chocolate poisoning is usually depends on the size of the dog and amount of the chocolate (concentration of cocoa in the chocolate) taken by the dog.
Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning
- Increased Thirst
- Increase in the frequency of urination.
If your dogs has experienced any of the above chocolate poisoning symptoms, take him to the vet right away.