Fever in dogs is a natural defense mechanism of the body to elevate the temperature so as to kill the disease causing pathogens that intruded into the body.
Usually Normal Dog & Cat body temperature ranges between 99° F and 102.5° F and temperature beyond that is said to be fever and may be accompanied by common Fever symptoms. Fever usually subsidizes on it own but in cases it requires medical attention.
Symptoms of Dog Fever
Symptoms of Fever in Dogs
1. Lethargy, sleepy or Tired
2. Depressed or confused
5. Not eating Food and water.
If you notice the above symptoms in your dog or cat, Appointed with the vet is advisable. In the meantime aiding the pet with the following home remedies will help improve the condition.
First Aid Procedures for dog fever
Take the Rectal Temperature :
It is the best possible way to tell the Cat or Dog has a Fever. All you require is a thermometer.
1. Take a clean thermometer Lubricated with some petroleum jelly.
2. Have an another person to hold the Pet from the front side. Hug the pet around the neck to keep him distracted. While you are facing the pet at the front.
3. Now hold the base of the pet’s tails and lift it up to have a clear target and just insert the lubricated nib of the thermometer into the rectum and hold for a minute or two.
4. After, Remove the thermometer and read the temperature. Once you have done, Make sure to clean the thermometer with disinfectant.
Note : If the temperature reading is above 105° F, Go to the vet right away.
Home Remedy to cure fever in dogs
If the temperature if beyond 107 ° F, spray or pat some cool water around the pet’s armpits, ear flaps and foot pads to help the Pet’s body temperature reduce slightly.